[Nasm-devel] Question about Build warning with a 32bits value

Li, SteveX stevex.li at intel.com
Fri Jul 1 02:34:07 PDT 2022

Hi,

I got some build warning by using NASM ver2.15.05 to compile the nasm file.
The warning messages are "warning: signed dword immediate exceeds bounds [-w+number-overflow]"  and "warning: dword data exceeds bounds [-w+number-overflow]".
In the source code, it is "add rcx 0xFFFFF000".

I have test two trials which could make the warning messages disappear.

  1.  Change the value from 0xFFFFF000 to 0x0, 0xFF, 0x7FFFF000 ...... etc.
  2.  Replace it by
mov rbx 0xFFFFF000
add rcx rbx
In the first trial, I just want to make sure the value is the root cause for these warning messages.

Do I have any other way to avoid the warning?

Best Regards,

SteveX Li