[Nasm-devel] Tagging releases on github

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Aug 15 18:18:01 PDT 2023

On 7/31/23 11:23, Billy O'Neal (VC AIR) wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> We recently had another spat of nasm.us being down causing people to
> break: https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/issues/2777
> <https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/issues/2777>
>
> We would love to stop having vcpkg customers hammer nasm.us; we don't
> presently rehost that stuff because it involves ... licensing scary, but
> as the copyright holders if you added a release we would love to use
> that as a primary mirror instead.

Could you explain what you mean with "licensing scary?"

It is all open source, under 2-BSD to boot. You can mirror the release
directory, which means you get all the sources, too.

Am I missing something?

As far as hosting releases on github... our build process is highly
automated, and would be very hard to host elsewhere.

If you are really keen on helping us, the absolutely best thing would be
to fund a CDN service that we could put in front of www.nasm.us of course...

	-hpa